In 2018, it’s estimated that among U.S. women and men there will be:
- 266,120 new cases of invasive breast cancer in women and 40,920 breast cancer deaths.
- 2,550 new cases of invasive breast cancer in men and 480 breast cancer deaths.
Fortunately, the diagnosis of breast cancer has widely improved since the development of high-resolution ultrasound equipment.
Ultrasound for Breast Imaging
Ultrasound imaging produces real-time images of the internal structure of the breast using high-frequency sound waves. Also known as ultrasound scanning or sonography, it can detect changes in the appearance, size or contour of tissues and vessels.
This non-invasive test helps physicians diagnose and treat medical conditions, such as breast lumps or other abnormalities, found during a routine breast examination or mammogram and is used for:
- Diagnosing breast abnormalities. Ultrasound imaging can often tell the difference between fluid-filled cysts (which are unlikely to be cancer) and a solid lump of tissue (which may need further testing).
- Providing a supplemental breast cancer screening to a mammogram when a lesion cannot be interpreted adequately through mammography alone. For instance, in breasts that are dense, some cancers or abnormalities can be hard to see on a mammogram but be visible on an ultrasound.
- Performing an ultrasound-guided biopsy. Ultrasound provides real-time imaging making it a good tool to help guide a biopsy needle into an area so that cells can be taken out and tested for cancer.
- Women who are at high risk for breast cancer and unable to do an MRI or are pregnant.
RS85 Offers Improved Diagnostic Confidence in Breast Cancer Detection
Samsung’s premium ultrasound system, the RS85, offers an integrated solution in diagnosis, delivering enriched views, advanced intelligence, streamlined workflow and patient-centered care.
The RS85 improves diagnostic confidence by:
- Standardized reporting and classification of suspicious lesions. The S-Detect™ for Breast, which incorporates BIRADS® ATLS®, automatically defines lesion boundaries, provides lexicon classification options and exports images for an enhanced and streamlined workflow.
- Improved classification and characterization of breast masses. E-Breast™ is a complementary ultrasound diagnostic tool used in breast elastography that helps to more effectively quantify the elasticity and compressibility of the breast tissues to help determine malignancy.
- Enhanced accuracy. Compared with the conventional transducers, the S-Vue™ transducers enable better penetration and higher quality resolution even on the more challenging patients.
- Image Clarity & Quality. S-Harmonic™ provides more uniform ultrasound images, giving physicians the detailed imaging they can count on to help improve diagnostic confidence and imaging continuity.
- Quick, reliable diagnosis. HQ-Vision™ provides an advanced technology for visualizing anatomical structures. With improved image clarity, this helps make a reliable diagnosis quickly.
Watch the video on the Samsung Ultrasound RS85. Read the case study S-Detect™ in Breast Ultrasound. The RS85 is now 510(k) with the FDA.
Breast Imaging Industry
As a leader in diagnostic solutions for breast care, Samsung attends many trade shows and conferences to showcase its innovative products as well as to stay current with what is happening in the industry and other technological advances.
In March, we are attending the AIUM Convention (The American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine) which brings together medical experts from across the country all focused on the safe and effective use of ultrasound in medicine.
In April, we will be at the 2018 SBI/ACR Breast Imaging Symposium, the largest breast imaging conference in the world. Held in Las Vegas, the conference is April 12-15 and you will find us in Booth #324.
Learn more about the advanced imaging solutions for breast care Samsung has to meet your breast imaging needs.
Contact MID today using our online form or call (800) 898-3392.
Medical Imaging Distribution is the exclusive US partner for Samsung’s healthcare imaging equipment. We are proud to bring you local sales, support, and service anywhere in the U.S.